11 October 2007

Auntie's & Uncle's

This absolutely darling little gem of a hole is just north of college at 74 Lippincott St. You wouldn't know it to see it. You wouldn't neccessarily walk by and think that it looks like a tasty place to eat. Well, I mean, see for yourself:




...as soon as I saw the sign, I was pretty excited to take some pictures and eat some FRANCH toast.

The inside of this place felt like my Uncle Ronnie's house in Harrow when I was a kid. Granted the weather was familiar as well: it was not the sunniest of October days and the entire cemented restaurant felt damp, cold, and somehow cozy. Apple-picking weather? Maybe only us townies know these sensations.



So look at that. THAT ^^^^^^^ !!! And please try to ignore the fact that I had shaky picture syndrome this day - but isn't it awesome!? Our server kind of looked like the Beave, too, so it helped even more.

But what's important:



...was this. I'd like to introduce a new member of the "ULTIMATE FRENCH TOAST" family. This was amazing. I even had a dream about it that night, where the chef (who was some female-version of Ghandi) was explaining the importance of the perfect thickness challah bread slices. (Seriously)

Poached, fresh pears are served with it and they're not sugared at all, which is such a treat. The nerve of some places to serve fruit cocktail with french toast! I know what you're thinking - blasphemy - but I promise, it really happened.



And ok. Let's stop for a second. Can we just LOOK at this sandwich? For the love of Christ Aunties and Uncles, have a heart and take it easy on us! Harry always seems generally unimpressed and unaffected by things (aka calmest dude ever) so I'm not sure if he took as much an aesthetic interest as I did but he seemed to enjoy it nonetheless.

If the food wasn't enough, and the decor didn't send me over the edge, I have to return to Aunties and Uncles if only to reshoot this picture on a day unafflicted by SPS (the aforementioned Shaky Photo Syndrome)



I want to give it a 10/10 but I feel guilty about doing it only a month into this blog.
9/10.